Published On: Wed, Sep 4th, 2019

Who’s eligible for Universal Credit? Eligibility for UK claim explained | Personal Finance | Finance

Universal Credit is a payment which may be made in order to help with a person’s living costs. It is replacing six types of benefits, known as legacy benefits. These are Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and Working Tax Credit. Those who get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it, or got or were entitled to it in the last month and is still eligible for it, cannot claim Universal Credit.

There are some other criteria regarding eligibility for Universal Credit.

It may be that a person can get Universal Credit if they’re on a low income or out of work, and aged 18 or older but under state pension age (or one’s partner is).

There are some exceptions if a person is 16 or 17.

The other requirements are that the applicant lives in the UK, and the individual and their partner have £16,000 or less in savings between them.

There are three independent benefits calculators signposted on the website.

These are hosted by Policy in Practice, entitledto, and Turn2us.

They may be used in order to determine what benefits a person could get, even if they can’t get Universal Credit.

Should a person be 16 or 17, then there are a number of reasons why they may be able to claim Universal Credit.

This includes if they have limited capability for work or medical evidence and are waiting for a Work Capability Assessment, are caring for a severely disabled person, and/or are responsible for a child.

Similarly, if they are in a couple with responsibility for at least one child and their partner is eligible for Universal Credit, they may be able to claim Universal Credit.

If an individual is pregnant and it’s 11 weeks or less before the expected week of childbirth, or one has had a child in the last 15 weeks, they may also be eligible.

Another reason is if the applicant does not have parental support, for example they are estranged from their parents and they’re not under local authority care.

Those who are training or studying full-time may be able to make a new Universal Credit claim.

That’s if one of the following situations apply:

  • The applicant lives with their partner and they’re eligible for Universal Credit
  • They’re responsible for a child, either as a single person or as a couple
  • They’re disabled and entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have limited capability for work
  • They’re in ‘non-advanced education’ (for example studying for A levels or a BTEC National Diploma), are 21 or under and do not have parental support

READ MORE: What Universal Credit am I entitled to? How to work out how much you could claim per month

Source link

Most Popular News