Published On: Mon, Oct 21st, 2019

Who can claim Universal Credit: You may be eligible to get help each month | Personal Finance | Finance

The payment is intended to help with one’s living costs, and it may be possible to claim it if a person is on a low income or is out of work. Universal Credit will replace Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and Working Tax Credit. Should a person currently be receiving any of these legacy benefits, then they cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time. Who is eligible for Universal Credit payments?

A person may be able to get it if they are on a low income or out of work, and they and their partner have £16,000 or less in savings between them.

The claimant must also live in the UK.

They must be aged 18 or older, however there are some exceptions if a person is 16 or 17.

Additionally, a person or their partner must be under state pension age.

Should a person live with their partner, then the partner’s income and savings will be taken into account – even if they are not eligible for Universal Credit.

If a person is 16 or 17, they can make a new Universal Credit claim if any of a number of circumstances apply.

These are:

  • A person has limited capability for work or they have medical evidence and are waiting for a Work Capability Assessment
  • They are caring for a severely disabled person
  • They are responsible for a child
  • They are in a couple which has responsibility for at least one child and their partner is eligible for Universal Credit
  • They are pregnant and it’s 11 weeks or less before the expected week of childbirth
  • They have had a child in the last 15 weeks
  • They do not have parental support – such as the individual is estranged from their parents and they are not under local authority care

If a person is in training or studying full-time, then, should certain situations apply, they can make a new Universal Credit claim.

This may be that they live with their partner who is eligible for Universal Credit, or they’re responsible for a child, either as a single person or in a couple.

Another instance is if they’re disabled and entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have limited capability for work.

If a person is in “non-advanced education” such as studying for A-levels or a BTEC National Diploma, aged 21 or under, and does not have parental support, then they can also make a claim.

Should one person in a couple have reached state pension age and the other be eligible for Universal Credit, then the pair can claim Universal Credit as a couple.

However, when both people reach state pension age, the Universal Credit claim will stop.

At this point, they may be able to apply for Pension Credit or other benefits as a couple.

READ MORE: Universal Credit: Could you boost savings with tax-free £1,200? Who is eligible for bonus?

Source link

Most Popular News