Published On: Wed, Oct 9th, 2019

Universal Credit claimants could get help from energy supplier – are you eligible? | Personal Finance | Finance

Keeping a home warm can come at a cost, whether that’s via the central heating or by carrying out improvements to the building’s insulation. That’s why some benefits recipients may be able to get help from their energy supplier. If they claim certain benefits and live in private housing or live in social housing, then an individual may be able to get help for energy-saving improvement to their home. They may get help with the cost of insulation work, for instance in their loft or cavity walls.

Assistance in covering the cost of replacing or repairing one’s boiler, or making other upgrades to heating, may also be available.

The website details who may be eligible for help, under the Affordable Warmth Obligation.

Eligible people who live in private housing

If a person gets one of the following benefits and lives in private housing, then they may be able to get help:

It points out that if a person rents their home, then they must have the owner’s permission to do the work.

Social housing tenants

Social housing tenants who live in a home that has an energy efficiency rating of E, F or G may be eligible for help with insulation or installing a heating system for the first time.

Recipients of certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest may be able to get a Cold Weather Payment.

This can be paid if the average temperature in the area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below for seven days in a row.

Source link

Most Popular News