Published On: Mon, Oct 28th, 2019

Universal Credit claimants could get energy-improvements grant to reduce heating costs | Personal Finance | Finance

With the clocks going back and the length of daylight hours continuing to reduce each day, winter is fast-approaching. When it comes to the cooler season, turning to the central heating is essential for many – but that’s not to say it won’t be costly. However, for some households, there is a way they can make moves to reduce their energy consumption – under the Affordable Warmth Obligation.

Another aspect is the replacement or repair of a boiler, or other upgrades to one’s heating system.

In some cases, it may be that the applicant has to make a contribution to the cost of the improvement.

Who is eligible for help under the Affordable Warmth Obligation?

The website details some of the instances where a person may be eligible for help.


It’s important to bear in mind that if a person rents their home, then they must get their owner’s permission to carry out the work.

People who are social housing tenants

If a person lives in social housing, then they may be eligible for help.

This is if their home has an energy efficiency rating of E, F or G.

Should this be the case, then they may be eligible for help with insulation or installing a heating system for the first time.

It’s possible to find one’s property’s energy efficiency rating by using the energy performance certificate register, or by asking one’s landlord or housing association.

It’s possible to check to see if a person is eligible online, via the Each Home Counts website.

Universal Credit is replacing six other benefits, which are known as legacy benefits.

These are Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Working Tax Credit.

Source link

Most Popular News