Published On: Mon, Sep 30th, 2019

Iran attack: Supreme leader ‘ordered Saudi Arabia strike in blatant act of war’ – report | World | News


The first missile landed at the Abqaiq Aramco oil plant in Western Saudi Arabia at 3.50am – followed by three more strikes. Workers at the plant initially thought there had been an explosion due to a malfunction, but by the fourth strike it was clear they were the subject of a targeted attack. Some 150 miles away, workers at the Khurais processing plant went through the same shocking realisation as they, too, were targeted in a drone attack.

A total of 25 drones and missiles were used in the attack on September 14, which forced the kingdom to shut down half of its oil production and sent prices soaring, Saudi Arabia has said.

Authorities said the drone and missile debris recovered by investigators, as well as the direction of fire, suggested Iran was behind the strikes.

Tehran has vehemently denied any involvement in the attacks on the oil facilities.

But today, a report from the National Council of Resistance of Iran claims information from within the regime proves Iranian culpability.

Photos taken in the days after the attack showed the charred remains of damaged installations, with melted pipes and burned out facilities take the full force of the explosion.

A company executive said 200 people were inside the Khurais facility when the sudden attack targeted four separate locations at the production plants.

By the time staff had tried to put the fires out from the first attack, more strikes had targeted the plant.

The Iran-aligned rebel Houthi movement in Yemen has claimed responsibility for the drone attack.

But Saudi officials say the scale and complexity of the attacks exceeded their capabilities.

Now the NCRI report alleges Iran was directly responsible for the oil strikes.

Shahin Gobadi of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) said: “The simultaneous missile and drone attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities on September 14, 2019 emanated from inside Iran and was a blatant act of war that Khamenei, Rouhani, Zarif, and other regime heads were responsible for in deciding, approving, and implementing.

“The regime hopelessly tries to prevent a popular uprising and thwart the expansion of resistance units by using internal suppression and external sponsorship of terrorism.

“It seeks to contain the deep-seated anger of society at its disastrous and inhuman rule.

“It is quite telling that according to numerous reports from inside the IRGC, all IRGC forces were on full alert during and after the attack.

“IRGC units implemented suppressive manoeuvres to intimidate Iranians in various cities and to fend off the threat to their rule that they see in a popular uprising inside Iran as their main concern.

“The regime is counting on inaction of the international community in its aggression. As long as this regime exists, it will not cease its aggression.”

The report’s release comes as Saudi Arabia warned of further escalations over the conflict.

Last week Saudi Arabia’s minister of state for foreign affairs said all options, including a military response, are open after the attacks.

And this week, heir to the Saudi throne Mohammed bin Salman warned of soaring oil prices and a global economic crash.

In an interview with CBS’ 60 Minutes news programme on Sunday, he said: “If the world does not take a strong and firm action to deter Iran, we will see further escalations that will threaten world interests.

“Oil supplies will be disrupted and oil prices will jump to unimaginably high numbers that we haven’t seen in our lifetimes.”



Source link

Most Popular News